Sunday, April 12, 2009

Food and gluttony

I love food. I live to eat. Today I made some fantastic food. I made a ham and a leg of lamb. I could have done just one, but I did both. ahh, the excess of America! We were fortunate to get both. And they were good. I made sides: Asparagus, beets, homemade rolls and macraoni and cheese. Yum. For dessert, a small piece of pecan pice mini muffin, a scoop of ice cream, fresh strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream. dusted with a sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg. Coffee, too. I would hate to think about how much it would cost in a restaurant. Both my brother and sister-in- law fell asleep after dinner. They ate well and were very full.

I think about the excess of food at the table and how much was thrown away. Don't get me wrong, I save a lot of leftovers. There will be many, many meals out of both the ham and lamb. I even saved the drippings of the roasted lamb for my scotch broth I will make later this week.

I often wonder what gluttony is. Is gluttony eating too much? Or is it the wasteful use of food? Are they one in the same? By eating too much, the food is not used and turned into fat. I think about the food that I buy and use. I hate to waste food. it bothers me. I like to buy food. I like to consime it, but there is nothing more stressful than finding something that wasn't used and now it is bad. too much going on.

I tis something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment